Lee's family has asked for privacy in order to come to terms with this terrible news and we hope the media will respect this.
last Campaign for spring 2010
Here's what they had to say:
• Madonna: Lee McQueen was a truly unique visionary in the world of fashion. A creator of beauty. What a tragedy.
• Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief, Vogue: "We are devastated to learn of the death of Alexander McQueen, one of the greatest talents of his generation. He brought a uniquely British sense of daring and aesthetic fearlessness to the global stage of fashion. In such a short career, Alexander McQueen's influence was astonishing—from street style to music culture and the world's museums. His passing marks an insurmountable loss."
• Sarah Jessica Parker: "I am shocked and overcome with grief upon learning about the untimely death of the quiet genius Alexander McQueen. My heart goes out to his family and all those who worked for and with him. In his atelier, his showroom, his stores and various business interests that were so rapidly growing, he was beloved. By all of them. He was talented well beyond his years and the seriousness and unrivaled talent which he applied to his work is in bountiful display year after year and collection after collection. Every single inspired, original, lofty, whimsical, stunning, brilliant and jaw dropping detail was Alexander Mcqueen. There has never been anyone like him. And there simply never will be. What is more devastating is that despite all his success thus far, creatively, critically and commercially, his greatest achievements lay ahead of him. The future would be whatever he hoped to make of it. His independence, his skill, his quiet fortitude, his devotion, his love of his work, family and friends will be an unthinkable loss. And the vigilance with which he protected his work and those he loved was both incredibly powerful and quietly heart rending. In my brief but honored time spent with him I learned he would never let even the tiniest and seemingly inconsequential detail be unfinished. That's why his death is so haunting. God speed Lee. It has been a privilege for all of us to know you. You will be indescribably missed."
• Kate Moss, via her rep: "Kate is shocked and devastated at the tragic loss of her dear friend Lee McQueen. Her thoughts are with his family at this sad time. We would also ask that Kate's privacy is respected."
• Heidi Klum: "I have never worked with him, but what a talented man. To me, he is one of the most talented men. It's really sad. One of the biggest lost in the fashion world. A lot of people make basic things that are beautiful…but he was out of the box. Extraordinary designer."
• Naomi Campbell: "I am truly devastated to lose my close friend. His talent had no boundaries and he was an inspiration to everyone who worked with him and knew him. This is a sad day to all who loved him around the world and my condolences are with his family. I will miss him so much, he will never be forgotten."
• Victoria Beckham: "Today, the fashion industry has lost a true great. An icon of all time. He made all he touched beautiful and will be desperately missed. My heart is very much with his family and friends at this very sad time."
• Sandra Bullock: "A brilliant artist has left the building. My thoughts go out to those who love and care for him, and who are now experiencing the great void he left behind."
• Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel designer: "I found his work very interesting and never banal. There was always some attraction to death, his designs were sometimes dehumanized. Who knows, perhaps after flirting with death too often, death attracts you."
• Kristen Johnston: "I just think he's brilliant. He's like Vivienne Westwood. I think his vision will be re-created and redone year after year after year for like 40 years. I just think he was ahead of his time, I really do. The cut and the structure. [His death] is really just terrible."
• Camilla Belle: "This is a devastating loss for both the fashion industry and art world. Alexander McQueen's designs were consistently unique and pushed boundaries. I always felt extremely special when wearing his creations, and am deeply saddened that we have lost this artistic genius too soon."
• Daniel Vosovic, designer and former Project Runway contestant: "A stone dropped in my throat when I heard this morning. I just think it's so tragic. He's such an artist. It's a huge loss."
Meanwhile, in the Twitterverse:
• JanetJackson: "Today we lost a True Genius, Alexander McQueen. He possessed a unique creativity that will never b recaptured. Alexander invited me to my very 1st fashion show (his in London.) There will NEVER b another!"
• tyrabanks: "RIP Alexander McQueen. so so sad. Such a huge loss. He was one of my favorite designers. He will be missed."
• katyperry: "Rest in Peace Alexander McQueen. Just woke up, so sad. :("
• rzrachelzoe: "I cant describe the tragic loss of such a brilliant man and designer Alexander McQueen…R.I.P. xo RZ"
• kirstiealley: "ALEXANDER MCQUEEN…you made big bottomed and not so big bottomed girls all over the world look stunning..come back soon..give it another go."
• KimKardashian: "I just found out Alexander McQueen died!!! I'm in shock! So sad! I'm wearing one of his dresses now! He was such a talented designer."
• MrJayManuel: "I'm just stunned and devastated at the huge loss the fashion industry took today. Alexander McQueen was a genius!! RIP. Remembering the good times…me, Lee (McQueen), & Miss J—He was so creative & full of life!! RIP."
• AubreyODay: God bless Alexander McQueen. The best of his generation of designers, and my personal favorite.
• DitaVonTeese: "Rest in peace, Mr. McQueen."
• MissKellyO (Kelly Osbourne): "I am so so sad to hear the news of Lee (Alexander) McQueen! I really just don't know what to say I'm really in shock. I can't stop thinking about Lee I am just devastated my heart goes out to Annabelle Nelson who is his best friend!"
• JoelMadden: "R.I.P. Alexander McQueen. You were one of the best man. Always hoped to meet you."
• TheRealJordin (Jordin Sparks): "Oh man. RIP Alexander McQueen. :/"
• michaelurie: "Very sad news. A great talent...McQueen lives on today at UB as worn by the super hot Vdub. "
• omarepps: "RIP Alexander McQueen."
• LTLline (Jermaine Dupri): "rip Alexander mcqueen Damn!!!!!!!!!!"
• EstelleDarlings (Estelle): "rip. alexander mcqueen. truly creative genius. super dope. wow."
• henryholland (Henry Holland, British designer): "In shock. So sad."
• robertcduffy (Robert Duffy, president of Marc Jacobs): "Very sad day for all. Yes we both knew him. Worked at LVMH together. Marc and I were crying earlierTolde ach other how much we love each other."
• MrJoeZee (Joe Zee, creative director, Elle): "R.I.P. Alexander McQueen, a kind soul and brilliant creative genius. Sad and shocking. You've touched us all."
—Additional reporting by Breanne L. Heldman, Ashley Fultz, Lindsay Miller and Lynn Helmsteadt
(Originally published on Feb. 11, 2010 at 11:25 a.m. PT)